Utah Guns Forum banner

SAF Gets Park City to change it's ordinances

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Don't get me wrong, I fully support NRA but to me SAF is where the rubber really meets the road. If you aren't a contributor to SAF I'd strongly suggest doing it.

#5 ·
SAF and NRA work very closely, and in many situations share info and work together on the same cases even though only 1 of them may be appearing to do something, such as this scenario. Other organizations involved in this inner circle include NSSF and state level organizations such as CalGuns, SCOPE, PAFOA, VFOA, ISRA, IC, and many more.

Btw, what is the name of the Utah organization? I can't seem to locate any info on how to get involved with them. And, who is the NRA lobbyist for Utah?

#6 ·
Uinta Firearms said:
Btw, what is the name of the Utah organization? I can't seem to locate any info on how to get involved with them. And, who is the NRA lobbyist for Utah?
Yours truly is one of three principals that run the Gun Owners of Utah (GOUtah!). We are entirely grassroots, meaning no dues, no fund raising, no contributions or spending. We send emails and fax alerts letting our readers know when they need to contact legislators or attend hearings. Our Web Page can be found at www.goutahorg.org . I encourage all gun owners to sign up for our alerts.

The most active, dues collecting pro-RKBA group in Utah is Utah Shooting Sports Council. These folks have a registered lobbyist and also work closely with the NRA. These guys have traditionally had expertise in range development and protection, as well as hunting and other sporting issues. But in the last 5 years or so have also become very active and effective on self-defense issues including concealed carry. I highly recommend a membership.

We also have a Utah chapter of Women Against Gun Control (WAGC) though their activity at the legislature waxes and wanes year to year.

There is also the Utah State Rifle and Pistol Association.

And we have a local version of (though not formally affiliated with, if I recall correctly) the Pink Pistol organization, a pro-gun, pro-self defense group for homosexuals, transgenders, and other sexual minorities. Our local group is called the Stonewall Shooting Sports Utah. These folks bring and important and unique voice to the RKBA debate, and their membership is open to all without regard to sexual orientation. I will note that in my observation, when there is a conflict between RKBA and homosexual-rights issues, they are likely to place higher priority on the homosexual-rights issues and lower on RKBA. Some would doubtless disagree with me and I don't care for a debate, just offering my observations.

There is also the Utah Gun Collectors Association for those who like antiques, curios, relics, and collectibles.

I'm pretty sure we've got an IPSC and USPSA groups as well.

Finally, there is a "group" calling itself "Utah Gun Rights" that, IMO, should be avoided and scorned. I believe it is a one man operation, but the "group" declines to identify any of its principals. The tone, tenor, and content of their rhetoric is beneath contemptible. And their analysis of bills is most often "unique". In other words, they are generally between 90 and 180 degrees out of sync with the actual effect of bills. I list them only to warn any newcomers away from them.

Charles Hardy
Public Policy Director
GOUtah!

#7 ·
Friends of the NRA - Utah: http://www.friendsofnra.org/StateHome.aspx?sid=46&sc=UT

SAF Life Membership ensures that you'll never be out of contact with continuous phone calls, email, and snail mail solicitations, information, and legislative actions, regardless of where you hang your hat.

#8 ·
dewittdj said:
Friends of the NRA - Utah: http://www.friendsofnra.org/StateHome.aspx?sid=46&sc=UT

SAF Life Membership ensures that you'll never be out of contact with continuous phone calls, email, and snail mail solicitations, information, and legislative actions, regardless of where you hang your hat.
I get more than enough junk mail and spam from the NRA. To the point where I'm debating future membership.

Mel

#9 ·
quychang said:
I get more than enough junk mail and spam from the NRA. To the point where I'm debating future membership.

Mel
On the membership portion of the NRA site there's a place (or there used to be) that allows a member to opt out of the vast majority of their mailing and emails. Opting out resulted in a dramatic decrease in NRA communications for me. I believe that one could also call to opt out.

#10 ·
Friends of the NRA is a separate organization than the NRA itself. It raises money that does NOT go to the NRA itself. It's used to promote local shooting sports, in some cases going to wards facilities to promote it.

At least, that's what I was told, but I could be full of Male Bovine Excrement (MBE).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.