Utah Guns Forum banner

Utah AG supports challenge of handgun ownership adults 18-20

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bagpiper 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Snurd said:
Sure they can. They just can't buy them from an FFL dealer....
Wrangler_dave9 said:
...Its amazing to me how many people don't know that they can own/be gifted/OC at 18-21. I had a gun conversation with a co worker and had to enlighten him on this.
Most firearms are transferred in the United States by FFLs. In jurisdictions without a Utah law which protects the right of potential gunowners aged 18- to 20-years-old to buy a firearm except "from an FFL dealer[,]" the potential owners experience a chilling effect in the pursuit of enjoying their Second Amendment RKBA. In some jurisdictions, that chilling effect is almost absolutely deterring ("what part of 'shall not be infringed'..."). I hope we aren't arguing that the National Rifle Association of America appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court is wrong. Just occasionally, we in Utah should look to help others in jurisdictions with gun cultures less advanced than our own. It was in this context that I wrote in defense of the appeal.

By the way, the Deseret News published a remarkably good report about the Utah Office of the Attorney General joining the appeal today (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8655 ... er-21.html). The comments, however, appear largely hijacked.

#6 ·
Since it is perfectly legal for 18-20 year olds to own handguns, all the current rule does is force these young adults to obtain any handguns they are going to own through private sales which in most cases do not have access to performing the NICS background check.

Now, to be clear, I'm opposed to background checks and other prior restraint on exercising of fundamental, constitutionally enumerated rights. But so long as such checks exist, it makes no sense to prevent 18-20 year olds from being able to legally purchase guns from those who perform the checks rather than requiring them to make all purchases through private sellers who most often do not and cannot provide such a check.

My first two handguns were purchased between the ages of 18 and 21, both from private sellers, of course.

Charles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.