Author Quotes Then-Professor Obama Saying, 'I Don't Believe

This is a Forum to discuss issues relating to gun control vs. the right to keep and bear arms in the United states and Utah. Please be respectful of everyone's opinions.

Author Quotes Then-Professor Obama Saying, 'I Don't Believe

Postby Maxterra » Wed 06 Mar 2013 11:05 am

[its the last paragraph that worries me the most!]

cnsnews.com
Author Quotes Then-Professor Obama Saying, 'I Don't Believe People Should Be Able To Own Guns'
In his new book, At the Brink, economist and author John Lott Jr., assesses the presidency of Barack Obama and recalls conversations regarding gun laws they had while working at the University of Chicago.

In Chapter Three, Mr. Lott discusses gun-control and takes the reader back to his time at the University of Chicago, where he and then-professor Barack Obama spoke on numerous occasions about guns in America.

"I don't believe people should be able to own guns," Obama told Lott one day at the University of Chicago Law School.

Lott explains that he first met Obama shortly after completing his research on concealed handgun laws and crime.

"He did not come across as a moderate who wanted to bring people together," Lott writes.

After he introduced himself to Obama, Lott suggested that they have lunch one day to discuss their views on guns. According to Lott, Obama "grimaced and turned away." That was the way many conversations with Obama ended, Lott says.

Although the Law School was famous for the openness of its faculty and friendly engagement, Lott says, "Obama...preferred silent, scowling disdain to collegiality."

President Barack Obama describes his views on guns much differently now that he is on the national stage, Lott believes, pointing to an interview on Fox News in which Obama states, "I have said consistently that I believe that the Second Amendment is an individual right."

But, Lott isn't convinced:

"Despite his assurance to Fox News that he understands the Second Amendment, it's a good bet that the positions Obama took on guns during his time at Chicago reveal his true convictions."

The chapter documents the actions that Obama has taken on guns, citing the following:

In 1996, Obama supported a ban on handguns
In 1998, he supported a ban on the sale of all semi-automatic guns
In 2004, he advocated banning gun sales within five miles of a school or park, which would have shut down nearly all gun stores
Mr. Lott concludes the chapter, titled, "Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered," writing, "Barack Obama is the most anti-gun president ever. That claim is based not on my own interactions with him back in the 1990's but on his own public record over many years."

He ends with a warning:

"The greatest threat is in his [Obama's] power to reshape the federal courts...Each appointment to the Supreme Court could determine whether the people are allowed to keep their guns."
Maxterra
Marksman

Re: Author Quotes Then-Professor Obama Saying, 'I Don't Believe

Postby Maniakmedic » Sun 10 Mar 2013 4:18 pm

What bothers me is that so many people during Bush's presidency would not let his alcoholism go even though, by all accounts, he hadn't touched alcohol in a couple decades, but they are more than happy to discount actual words and actions within the very recent past from a man who has made it very clear during his career that he thinks the Constitution - and the 2nd Amendment in particular - needs to be thrown out. But we're all crazy for thinking the powers that be want to take our guns. We're not supposed to question his past actions, words, and votes as a politician because that's not fair and he could have changed his mind (though I've yet to see the evidence of that) but don't you dare question their nit-picking of personal flaws that have nothing to do with policy. It's ridiculous. Sadly, I know there are people who will say everything John Lott has written is a lie because, even though I've read "More Guns, Less Crime" and found him to, like most economists who are not Paul Krugman, be very meticulous about sourcing things, what he says butchers their sacred cows and serves it to them for lunch.
"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."

"Why don't you gun nuts go off and start your own country?"
"We did. Who the [heck] let you in?"
Maniakmedic
Marksman

Return to Gun Control Issues in the United States and Utah