Utah Guns Forum banner

The Skills and Drills Membership at the Armory Gun Range

13K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Snurd 
#1 ·
The Armory Gun Range in Sandy, UT will by offering an enhanced "Skills and Drills" membership. Members will be able to attend a practice session every week that will allow them to work on drawing from the holster, engaging multiple targets, moving while shooting, shooting from cover, etc. The membership also includes unlimited use of lane shooting on the 25 yard and 15 yards bays.

Two practice sessions will be offered every Wednesday night, one at 6pm and another starting at 7:30pm. The first practice session is on June 24th.

Call the Armory at 801-895-7885 for more info.

#2 ·
More information about the Skills and Drills training program at the Armory Shooting Range.

First time attending a training session - $15. Cost per session after your first time - $25.

Monthly membership that allows you to attend a training session every Wednesday night - $40.

Monthly membership that gives you access to unlimited lane shooting and a training session every Wednesday night - $70.

Win a Bowling Pin match, choose between a free month of lane shooting access or a free month of Skills and Drills training. I'll see if I can get them to give a free one month membership for winning the Practical / Defensive Handgun competitions that we have been holding at the Armory.

Disregard the last phone number I posted, call 801-447-1789.

#3 ·
Looking very interesting. I'm glad to see a range trying to offer something we need rather than just standing a firing in place. The Armory is more and more becoming my favorite indoor range.

#5 ·
I've been doing something very similar for about the last 2 years in Chicago. I highly encourage this to pelt who wish to improve their skills beyond punching paper. Imo, something like this is the next step in getting away from thy square range concept. This also provides an opportunity to practice for IDPA and USPSA events.

#6 ·
D-FIN said:
Looking very interesting. I'm glad to see a range trying to offer something we need rather than just standing a firing in place. The Armory is more and more becoming my favorite indoor range.
Robert Wyatt, who is also a Utah Defensive Pistol League match director, safety officer and club officer, and I approached the Armory a couple months ago and proposed holding defensive / practical handgun competitions. We have held two so far and the next one is scheduled for 6/25/15. We have had a great response and we are planning on holding them every two weeks instead of once a month because we are getting such a high turn out.

That is why I approached the Casey and Brian (Armory owners) about setting up this training program - they have been great to work with.

I strongly believe shooters need to practice (not just standing at a lane) on a regular basis. Taking a 6-8 hour class is excellent but it's hard for shooters to really get better unless they can practice on an on going basis what they learn in a class. I also think it's best for shooters to be able to track their progress using measurable data, recording speed and accuracy on standard drills in a training journal.

Anyway, I think my post here has over 1100 views - do you think we'll see that many shooters come out for this? LOL! I hope this really gets off the ground and we can offer it multiple times per week. We are planning on limiting the number of shooters that can attend a session for obvious safety reasons and because we really want everyone to get plenty of rounds down range during a session and feel like it's valuable training time.

#8 ·
D-FIN said:
How many rounds do you anticipate per session for planning purposes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd think a shooter would want to show up with at least 100, but may end up shooting 60-70, time will tell. We are using steel 8 inch plate targets with ATV tires positioned to contain fragmentation. We tested them in the 15 yard bay and they worked great. The steel targets will allow us to move shooters through the drills pretty quickly since we won't be taping targets. I want to strike a balance between shooting and instruction. Too much instruction, not enough shooting is bad and too much shooting without instruction reinforces bad habits... that's bad too.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Last week's training went great - this is scheduled for EVERY WEDNESDAY NIGHT so come on out and join us. It is very helpful for people to register before but, at this point, we can still accommodate walk ins.

Hope to see you there.

#14 ·
I went Last Wed and had a great time. We had a small turn out and a very new shooter which worked out as we could spend some time getting him where he needed to be. We ran 3 drills on steel targets with ATV tires collecting and shrapnel from the rounds. After I managed to slow myself down a bit I felt pretty good about it. It was ran as a cold range so we loaded and made ready at the line then re-holstered and ran drills. If you want to you can track your times to track improvement. I don't think I'm at the point where I'm to worried about that yet but it is nice to have the option.

#15 ·
Glad you were able to come out D-FIN. There's room in tonight's session for more shooters if anyone wants to come out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.