Utah Guns Forum banner

Anyone use encryption on their...

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sypher 
#1 ·
Computers, phones, hard drives, micro sd cards, etc...? If so, what do you use and why?

#2 ·
On my work phone and laptop, I use what's built-in to Android and Linux because I'm required to.

I have used TrueCrypt on external hard drives for backups, and it worked well, but I wouldn't use it now. The backups had budgets, tax returns, PII, etc. Now I'm using crashplan.com for backups, so I use their lowest level of encryption for the same reason.

I keep all my passwords on a keepass(x|droid)-encrypted database on dropbox.

#4 ·
hmmm...I was hoping for something that I could download. I have a couple portable hard drives, and a micro sd card, that have documents, while not ultra top secret, I would rather your average joe schmoe couldn't access if I were to lose them.

#5 ·
sypher said:
hmmm...I was hoping for something that I could download. I have a couple portable hard drives, and a micro sd card, that have documents, while not ultra top secret, I would rather your average joe schmoe couldn't access if I were to lose them.
I'd still recommend TrueCrypt. Click here for my copy of the last-known good version before it was discontinued. Is it safe? Not 100% sure. It's passed it's Phase 1 audit. Phase 2 is supposedly in-progress, which is the crypto-analysis.

Will this stop the average Joe? Yes, absolutely. Will it stop the advanced Joe? Yes, absolutely. Will it stop the most powerful government on the planet who potentially maybe possibly had a hand in putting TrueCrypt down? I wouldn't bet MY paycheck on it.

#6 ·
I wouldn't recommend TrueCrypt any more. There are purists who say it's fundamentally flawed, and not to use any of the forks, but as UtahJarhead says, we're not trying to stop the NSA.

VeraCrypt (https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/) claims to have fixed the major vulnerabilities in TrueCrypt, it's actively maintained, and looks like the most likely successor to TrueCrypt. That's what I would use if I wanted cross-platform compatible encryption or for some reason didn't want to use the encryption built-in to my OS.

#7 ·
manithree said:
I wouldn't recommend TrueCrypt any more. There are purists who say it's fundamentally flawed, and not to use any of the forks, but as UtahJarhead says, we're not trying to stop the NSA.

VeraCrypt (https://veracrypt.codeplex.com/) claims to have fixed the major vulnerabilities in TrueCrypt, it's actively maintained, and looks like the most likely successor to TrueCrypt. That's what I would use if I wanted cross-platform compatible encryption or for some reason didn't want to use the encryption built-in to my OS.
I have nothing to disagree with, here.

#10 ·
GK_ said:
If you aren't looking for full disk encryption and just want to encrypt some of your files, you could use something like GPG to create an encrypted archive of those files. You can either do it with a key pair or a symmetric cipher.
https://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/x110.html
This looks more along the lines of what I was looking for...I'll check it out, thanks for the suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.