Utah Guns Forum banner

Gun show: worth it?

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ObiRich 
#1 ·
I've been avoiding the gunshows based on friends' feedback about vendor bs, irrational pricing, tacticool extravaganza, and political overtones. However thinking about going to Crossroads' one this weekend just to see for myself. I may pick up some ammo or a new IWB G19/G23 holster if I find one I like but don't plan on buying any guns (I prefer to patronize my LGS).

My question is what's your experience been? Is it worth the $12 admission? What are the things you buy that are good deal or wouldn't otherwise?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Not even close to being worth the admission in my very humble opinion. Especially Crossroads. $12 pays for the gas to and from Cabela's and it's cheaper with more inventory and you can hit Scheel's on the way back and I live in Ogden!

Screw that noise.

#4 ·
Having been to many excellent shows in Arizona and Ohio when I lived both places, I've been underwhelmed by Utah shows, and haven't been in 4+ years.

The few times I went to make a one-off sale, things went well enough. The purchasing side of things is what was disappointing.

It's been a number of years, and Sam is making promises, so I might give it another whirl this weekend.

#5 ·
I went to one gunshow here in provo about a year ago and it was a waste of my time. Overpriced everything, mall ninja stuff galore, and just a whole lot of useless crap.

There were a couple good booths that had good new products, but really, it was not worth the $5 admission price IMHO.

#6 ·
Whether the $12 admission is "worth it" really depends on what you are hoping to find. Kind of like whether the price of admission to any given movie is "worth it" or whether it is "worth it" to drop a few dollars into a slot machine.

If you are expecting to find some awesome deal on guns, ammo, or equipment, probably not worth it. If you are going to be offended by an overtly conservative / libertarian political environment, definitely not worth it.

Kind of like dropping money in a slot machine with high expectations of winning a fortune. Just not worth it. Now, if you're just looking for a couple of hours of entertainment and dropping nickels and pushing buttons qualifies as "entertainment" for you....

So, if you want to spend a couple of hours looking over all kinds of guns including many you'd never spend any of your own money to buy; lots of equipment and accessories; survival and emergency preparedness books, supplies, and equipment; and generally socializing with other firearms enthusiasts for a couple of hours, then $12 is probably as worth it for a gun show as it would be for a movie you enjoy or dropping nickels into a slot machine.

As I have said repeatedly, those who have tried for years to shut down gun shows are not trying to keep people from getting good prices on guns/ammo. They are not even trying to close the so-called "gun show loophole". Regardless of their media talking points, those who drive the agenda know the laws as well as we do. They hate gun shows for much the same reason they hate talk radio: because both help people realize they are not alone, that others--a LOT of others--share their views.

Charles

#7 ·
Push comes to shove, you are the only one who will know if the experience is right for you. Sure there are those who may boost prices at their booths, essentially making the consumer pay for the excessive prices they are charged per table, but not everyone does this. There are honest dealers and dishonest dealers just as in everyday life, especially if you look at mechanic shops where you really do get a 50/50 chance of being ripped off. I have been a customer or dealer (in knives) for many years at gun shows and I can honestly say that the deals are there, you may have to search for them, dependent upon what you may be searching for, but they are there.

A gun show is also a place where you can learn of new products and accessories. Your experience all comes down to what you are interested in, what you may want to focus on and what you may want to learn or experience. When it comes right down to it only you will know if it is a venue you would attend again based upon your experience and what you learn or take away from the experience. If the entry price is considered high go to Crossroadsofthewestgunshowscom on the internet and print off a discount ticket, it may only be a dollar or two off, but something off is better than full price.

I personally think everyone should go at east once an experience this for themselves, after all, you are the only one who will know how you like or dislike anything.
Good Luck!

#9 ·
Take the first post and plug in the word 'Lagoon' for gunshow and 'rides' or 'games for guns, holsters and ammo.
I look at the gunshows as entertainment. I pay I see. If something catches me maybe I purchase.
I always go online and print more coupons than I need and usually hand out a few for fun.
If you are looking for a particular, do your research and know what the regular retail is locally or online. Sometimes you can dicker alittle, or not.
For me it's entertainment and I don't get that queasy upset stomach feeling.

#11 ·
I'm going as I figure it's payback time. SWMBO (that's She Who Must Be Obeyed) drags me everywhere. Last holiday season, got dragged to the huge "Holiday Boutique" up at the Golden Spike arena in Ogden. Spent the better part of an afternoon gawking at all the crafty stuff (yeah, right). A week from this Saturday, she and the daughter are taking me to the Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving point (I'll need a ukulele on a sling over my shoulder, but would prefer my M4). Sooooo.....for that past month I've told her that I have something planned for us on April 12th, which just happens to coincide with the Crossroads of the West. I've dropped a few subtle hints...she knows where we're headed is indoors, and we need to leave around 8AM, and I told here I pick her clothes (her "I shoot like a girl" Tshirt, but haven't told her that yet). She enjoys our trips to the range, so she shouldn't mind too bad, especially if a lunch out is included. If she doesn't, too bad...paybacks can be a female dog.

#12 ·
I'm triple booked for the 12th and probably won't be able to spend more than an hour or two at the show that afternoon. (Assuming the SL County GOP convention gets out early.) but there will be plenty of people manning out booths. We just added 360-Defense to our group and they offer gun stuffs for women. We figure that if we keep with wives happy we'll have more time to pitch to the guys.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sam Fidler said:
I'm triple booked for the 12th and probably won't be able to spend more than an hour or two at the show that afternoon. (Assuming the SL County GOP convention gets out early.) but there will be plenty of people manning out booths. We just added 360-Defense to our group and they offer gun stuffs for women. We figure that if we keep with wives happy we'll have more time to pitch to the guys.
Haha I just designed a logo for their Women's program.

360D-Women Logo.png

Attachments

#15 ·
Sam Fidler said:
D-FIN said:
Haha I just designed a logo for their Women's program.
Sweet! Looks great too.

Are you familiar with their affiliation with Operation Underground Railroad?
A little, We printed some business cards up for that and I spent some time on their website looking around but I can't remember all the details.

#18 ·
The wife and I went but we weren't really looking for anything. Was disappointed in the ammo prices. Someone was selling those Remington "bucket of bullets" for $169. They actually retail for about $70 if you can find them. Ended up buying a couple T shirts though. We got there about 11:00 AM and I couldn't believe how "thin" the crowd was compared to the ones I went to last spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.