Utah Guns Forum banner

Absolute Murder

10K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  DaKnife 
#1 ·
A man murdered by police in New Mexico - completely unprovoked as this man was obeying orders and was fired upon with a flash bang, and a dog was released on him. There was absolutely no excuse for what these officers did, it was absolute murder and the involved officers look to be getting away with it. This is shameful, inexcusable and wanton destruction of human life.

http://gopthedailydose.com/2014/03/22/p ... -commands/

#2 ·
Throwing the flash-bang after he picked up his gear wasn't exactly an honorable move.
But, without better footage, I can't make a call on the shooting itself. The officers claim he dropped his bag, but kept two knives in his hands. No way of knowing, without a better video...

The fact that the cops went in hot and heavy tends to indicate that they anticipated problems with this guy, though. There's probably some history we don't know about.
Most places don't send in a Special Tactics team to evict 'illegal campers' .

#3 ·
Not so sure It's murder, they had spent hours trying to talk hom down yet he had the knives, and was within feet of two officers, making him a threat as he refused to drop the weapons. There are many problems with how this appeared to go down, but let us not be too quick to declare murder.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4

#4 ·
In the video he agreed to come down, to pick up his belongings and leave, which was clear to hear. He picked up his belongings and was starting to walk down when they threw the flash bang and assaulted him. He had made no threats, his hands were fully visible as his arms were spread out to his sides, in other words he was in complete compliance at that time and the actions by the officers were not essential. No one had said anything about arrest, leave your belongings on the ground, lay on the ground or any other normal request if they intended to arrest him. He was complying and their actions were murderous and completely unnecessary. The only issue is the visible "white spot" in the footage provided so no other action is visible once the police started their murderous rampage and let loose their dog. IANAL however, IMHO this is a clear an simple case of murder similar to Ruby Ridge and other instances where police or federal authorities have gotten away with murder under the color of their uniform.

#5 ·
Okay that version is longer than what I'd seen before and has better audio making the situation more as you stated. However the police are still saying he had a knife in each hand and he was still refusing to comply with orders. Sorry but if I ever find I have multiple guns aimed at me, and they are yelling at me to get down, I'm dropping everything and hitting the deck so fast I make a crater.

I don't like saying murder, because he was armed and not complying with instructions, but I have to admit that based on the longer unedited version you are closer to right than I was. (Hey I'm a know it all who hates to admit when he's wrong) :mrgreen:

#6 ·
There is a longer version online that doesn't have the white blur. I won't post it here, as to not violate site rules, however the longer version has a lot more details. In the longer version, the police walk up to him after they shoot him, and he does indeed have a knife in his hand.

That being said, it still seems like an unjustified shoot to me. In fact, when the blur is removed, you can see that the guy actually turns AWAY from the police when they decide to unload on him. It looked to me like he was using the knife to defend himself from the dog they let loose on him, and then he turns uphill like he's trying to get away from the dog, and they light him up.

It's hard to MMQB these things, but I think two things are clear:

1. When multiple police officers have guns trained on you, drop the knives and comply. Period.
2. The police used excessive force. They should have used their bean bag gun first, dog second, and then lethal force if the guy made moves TOWARDS them. In the longer video, he clearly turns away, and then they essentially shoot him in the back.

I know LEOs need to take precautions to defend themselves in certain situations, but it seems like more and more officers are moving towards a 'shoot first, ask questions later' stance, and then pretending it's justified by stating they were in danger. It seems to me like the police in this video were too trigger happy, and could have and should have taken more steps to apprehend this guy without killing him.

#7 ·
B Cart said:
There is a longer version online that doesn't have the white blur. I won't post it here, as to not violate site rules, however the longer version has a lot more details. In the longer version, the police walk up to him after they shoot him, and he does indeed have a knife in his hand.
If you know of an existing uncensored version, telling us where to find it would be helpful.
As of now, all of the usual 'repositories' for such videos have notices up saying the video was taken down, due to copyright violations.

#8 ·
I am normally one to promote police officers in general.....but this particular instance really looks bad.
Really bad. Flashbanging a guy, sending a dog at him, and then shooting him with bullets, beanbags, AND tasers just seems a TAD excessive.

#9 ·
B Cart said:

That being said, it still seems like an unjustified shoot to me. In fact, when the blur is removed, you can see that the guy actually turns AWAY from the police when they decide to unload on him. It looked to me like he was using the knife to defend himself from the dog they let loose on him, and then he turns uphill like he's trying to get away from the dog, and they light him up.

It's hard to MMQB these things, but I think two things are clear:

1. When multiple police officers have guns trained on you, drop the knives and comply. Period.
2. The police used excessive force. They should have used their bean bag gun first, dog second, and then lethal force if the guy made moves TOWARDS them. In the longer video, he clearly turns away, and then they essentially shoot him in the back.

I know LEOs need to take precautions to defend themselves in certain situations, but it seems like more and more officers are moving towards a 'shoot first, ask questions later' stance, and then pretending it's justified by stating they were in danger. It seems to me like the police in this video were too trigger happy, and could have and should have taken more steps to apprehend this guy without killing him.
From what I read he took the knives out of his pockets after he got flashbanged. Bad move, but it should have been anticipated. I was reading an audio log and the victim made it clear that if the police were going to try to fight him he was going to fight back.

I also don't get why he was shot with less lethal rounds AND real rounds. Just seems like a FUBAR situation.

#10 ·
FrankenHollow said:
if you know of an existing uncensored version, telling us where to find it would be helpful.
As of now, all of the usual 'repositories' for such videos have notices up saying the video was taken down, due to copyright violations.
type this in on youtube: albuquerque police shoot james boyd

It's the second video down, 3.52 time length

#11 ·
Plain and simple murder. The only one making any kind of aggressive movements were the cops.

#12 ·
There are no good apples when there are none that have integrity enough to protect and serve the public.

The main thing about this is that the Police Chief Justifies this Murder and I think even believes the crap coming out of his lips. They all will stick together and when they serve themselves and not the public they have become obsolete as a peace officer. They are absolutely clueless when it comes to dealing with the mentally ill or those with special needs.
This is happening on a weekly if not daily basis.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Raw video from this incident was released a while back.

It looks like the knife claims were absolutely true ...and the man definitely didn't appear to be holding them in an "I'm just packing up camp" type of manner...

Here's a screen grab of the video, after the man stopped responding on the ground (after the "accidental" use of lethal force, rather than bean-bag rounds):
Untitled.jpg

One knife in each hand, ready to fight.

There are still many things that can be said about the officer(s) 'accidentally' using lethal force instead of bean-bags. (The first shot was a bean bag - the other officer, whose perspective we have, then followed up with lethal force. The officer that fires from off camera appears to have used lethal force, as well.)
And, there's still the matter of him turning away and appearing to be complying...

But, in that situation, the man had just made a mock charge at the K-9 officer, with 2 knives in his hands. The second time he moves quickly, you have a split second to make the call about what his intentions are. They appear to have gotten the call wrong, but I admit that I could see myself making the same decision (to fire) if I was in the officers' shoes.

You can armchair-quarterback it to death, but being there is what matters.

Attachments

#15 ·
#16 ·
Thanks Rusty for this update. This goes to prove I was absolutely correct, this was absolute murder, pre-meditated murder by the officer who fired the shot which put Mr. Boyd down. That officer should be on trial for murder and I certainly hope that the wrongful death suit by Boyd's family puts hi in jail - or on death row where he certainly belongs. Shameful, absolutely shameful!

#17 ·
Going to the link Rusty provided, the statement the cop made currently reads: "Sandy: For this (bleep)ing lunatic? I'm going to shoot him in the (male appendage) with a shotgun here in a second." That suggests to me an markedly different intent than the quote Rusty posted indicates.

An accurate, unchanging transcript of the interchange would be nice, as would, perhaps, an opportunity to listen to the actual recording for intonation, etc.

#18 ·
Car Knocker said:
Going to the link Rusty provided, the statement the cop made currently reads: "Sandy: For this (bleep)ing lunatic? I'm going to shoot him in the (male appendage) with a shotgun here in a second." That suggests to me an markedly different intent than the quote Rusty posted indicates.

An accurate, unchanging transcript of the interchange would be nice, as would, perhaps, an opportunity to listen to the actual recording for intonation, etc.
I went to thee link provided and listened and intent is definitely there in the audio. This officer wanted to kill and he did. If the suspect had not turned he would have been shot dead center of private parts. Clear and simple, it was premeditated murder.

#19 ·
Cinhil said:
Car Knocker said:

I went to thee link provided and listened and intent is definitely there in the audio. This officer wanted to kill and he did. If the suspect had not turned he would have been shot dead center of private parts. Clear and simple, it was premeditated murder.
I finally listened to the audio in the link provided. I wonder, do you really think that bragging about shooting the guy in the ***** with a taser shotgun indicates a desire to kill, and that it rises to the level of premeditated murder?

I notice that nobody quoted the part of the recording that talked about the 'taser'. Was this intentional to support a particular bias, or was it legitimately missed?

#20 ·
In response, Althor;

Nothing concerning a less lethal option was mentioned until after the comment was made that the officer in question had stated he was going to shoot the victim with a shotgun. I have provided the link here:

http://benswann.com/audio-caught-apd-of ... ampaign=nl

You can read it right in the transcript and when listening to this officer concerning this intent is obvious by his intonations - ie, he was going to kill regardless. This was and is, premeditated murder and this officer ought to be charged and convicted of such.

#25 ·
althor said:
Well, "wow" was a response to that intellectual logic I was presented with. I am simply left speechless.
If logic were more common, the world would be a very boring place.
Without the twisted logic of people that fight to constantly narrow their view of the world, there would be nothing to laugh at. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.