Utah Guns Forum banner

Military ammo

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Goof 
#1 ·
Anyone know what bullet types they use? Fmj or hollow points? I once heard they use fmj cause hollow point cause unnecessary damage/pain?

Is this true?

#3 ·
Wikipedia isn't the best place for looking things up, but I will post a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Conventions_of_1899_and_1907
It is actually a part of the Geneva convention.

It makes some sense to wound instead of kill, that way you have a person out, cost to help them heal, other people out due to helping their buddy so less people up front.

#6 ·
jktseug said:
Wikipedia isn't the best place for looking things up, but I will post a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Conventions_of_1899_and_1907
It is actually a part of the Geneva convention.

It makes some sense to wound instead of kill, that way you have a person out, cost to help them heal, other people out due to helping their buddy so less people up front.
The Hague Conventions were separate from the Geneva Conventions. It was at the 1899 Hague Convention that the British Army's use of "Dum Dum" bullets was brought up, resulting in the ban of ("inhumane") expanding bullets.

One of the more comical statements made by the British, supporting the use of expanding bullets, was made by Sir John Ardagh in regards to indigenous peoples revolting against American and British conquest:
"The civilized soldier when shot recognizes that he is wounded and knows that the sooner he is attended to the sooner he will recover. He lies down on his stretcher and is taken off the field to his ambulance, where he is dressed or bandaged. Your fanatical barbarian, similarly wounded, continues to rush on, spear or sword in hand; and before you have the time to represent to him that his conduct is in flagrant violation of the understanding relative to the proper course for the wounded man to follow-he may have cut off your head."

#7 ·
Sierra Match King bullets are used by snipers from all 4 US military services. Here's an interesting powerpoint on the history of that decision:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2012armaments/Parks.pdf

In short, even though they're a hollow-point round, they have almost identical terminal ballistics as the equivalent size/velocity FMJ rounds.

Matt

#8 ·
FrankenHollow said:
One of the more comical statements made by the British, supporting the use of expanding bullets, was made by Sir John Ardagh in regards to indigenous peoples revolting against American and British conquest:
"The civilized soldier when shot recognizes that he is wounded and knows that the sooner he is attended to the sooner he will recover. He lies down on his stretcher and is taken off the field to his ambulance, where he is dressed or bandaged. Your fanatical barbarian, similarly wounded, continues to rush on, spear or sword in hand; and before you have the time to represent to him that his conduct is in flagrant violation of the understanding relative to the proper course for the wounded man to follow-he may have cut off your head."
This is actually quite true, even in my sport of rapier combat. (like fencing, but with real rapier blades and a marshal art)

For us, this translate to that the bestial fighter will blow off shots and to finally strike a blow on someone and thinking they are a good fighter.

Thank you, I will use this quote when working with other rapier students.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.