Utah Guns Forum banner

1934 Colt Official Police 38

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  D-FIN 
#1 ·
Inherited this gun about a year ago and have fired it few times. The past couple of times at the range, when the cylinder is loaded, it will "hang" and not rotate to the next position easily, and sometimes not at all. Last time I couldn't even use it single action. Seems to only happen on one or two cylinders, and seems to get worse as the gun warms up. What's wrong, and any idea on how to fix it, and what it might likely cost?

#5 ·
I have a friend that owns a similar vintage Colt that we shot when we were teenagers. It belonged to his grandfather who was Cache county Sheriff when he carried it. It has a central place in his collection, it's well loved and kept clean and ready to go, but hasn't been fired since the 1970's.

If it were mine, it would become a safe queen, and I'd get a little Ruger or similar .38 to satisfy my urge to for that caliber paper punching. But then, that's just me. It's also cool to be able to shoot the old guns, and enjoy them. And either way, I'd probably follow the above advice and get it repaired before I retired it. It's only going to get harder to find a qualified smith to work on it the older it gets.

Mel

#6 ·
ObiRich said:
D-FIN said:
It's broken.........can I have it? :lol3:
[Edited by mod. -Don] no! It was my father-in-law's gun, and even if I didn't like it, the wife would kill me if I got rid of it.
When get to the point that I can buy guns I want vs to fill a a need then old one like this are probably the ones I would look at. I really like the old Colts. My dad has a Colt Single six .22 and a .38 Detective I hope in have someday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.