Utah Guns Forum banner

30-06 or 7mm mag for Elk and Moose

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  tapehoser 
#1 ·
I want to know what you all think! Thanks :dunno:

#5 ·
There is so small a difference when comparing these two when it comes to a hunting rifle. Your talking a couple inches different in drop and a couple foot pounds of energy difference between the two and which one wins depends on the bullet used. Work up some ballistic charts for the two calibers and see for yourself. I load for both the 30-06, a buddies rifle, and 7mm and have worked up ballistic charts with known fired velocities so I see the real numbers. If you were to ask me I would tell you to get a 30-06 as there are more options, ammo and or components are easier to find and one can purchase a nicer 30-06 for the money as magnum chambered rifles tend to cost more then comparable non magnum rifles. I type all this and I shoot an old model 70 Winchester 7mm Rem Mag.

#6 ·
The ballistics of the 7mm and the .308 caliber bullets are both very close.

In terms of cartridge capacity the 7 Rem Mag is about 10% more powerful than the 30-06 Springfield.

I don't think 10% makes a big difference.

Either one of these calibers is fine for any sub-dangerous game in North America.

#7 ·
James said:
I have seen all sizes of critters killed with the lowly 22 LR. The point is that you have to hit it in the right spot. Put a bullet into the brain or the heart and its yours. So learning to shoot and hit the target is more important than caliber. That said, give me the 7mm for reasons already mentioned.
The brain and heart are both small targets and if your success depends on hitting them then you are not a very ethical hunter.

Hitting the heart is also a waste of meat. You are better off (and so is the game animal) if you hit 2 or more lobes of the lungs. Then if the hydrostatic shock of the impact does not kill the animal the bleeding certainly will.

22's and 223's should NOT be used on big game. These are small game and varmint cartridges. Always have been. Always will be.

#8 ·
In similar weight bullets, the 7mm is about 100-200 fps faster than the 30-06 in the same length barrel. So, about the same difference as the 30-06 vs the 308. The 7mm shoots flat like the 270, so making those long shots might be a little easier than with the 30-06. Recoil feels about the same.

Both cartridges are fine for elk and moose. Bullet selection is going to be more important than caliber in the case of those two cartridges.

Do you reload? 30-06 will be a little cheaper, and brass is very plentiful. 7mm brass availability is no slouch either though. For reference, I can reload a box of 20 of 30-06 for $10-20 depending on the bullet(all jacketed, no cast), and if I already have the brass. By the way, that price range includes premium bullets like Nosler Partition, Accubond, Barnes Triple-Shock X, etc. 7mm will cost about a dollar more a box, excluding brass still.

If you buy off the shelf, 30-06 will likely have more ammo choices than 7mm, and be a bit cheaper. But if all you do is buy a box of 20 each year for the hunt, it probably doesn't matter that much.

I agree with muddy on the rifle price thing. You'll also have more rifle choices for 30-06.

Bottom line - the 7mm's biggest advantage is flatter shooting, and longer shots potentially made a little easier.

#9 ·
Luv10mm said:
In similar weight bullets, the 7mm is about 100-200 fps faster than the 30-06 in the same length barrel. So, about the same difference as the 30-06 vs the 308. The 7mm shoots flat like the 270, so making those long shots might be a little easier than with the 30-06. Recoil feels about the same.

Both cartridges are fine for elk and moose. Bullet selection is going to be more important than caliber in the case of those two cartridges.

Do you reload? 30-06 will be a little cheaper, and brass is very plentiful. 7mm brass availability is no slouch either though. For reference, I can reload a box of 20 of 30-06 for $10-20 depending on the bullet(all jacketed, no cast), and if I already have the brass. By the way, that price range includes premium bullets like Nosler Partition, Accubond, Barnes Triple-Shock X, etc. 7mm will cost about a dollar more a box, excluding brass still.

If you buy off the shelf, 30-06 will likely have more ammo choices than 7mm, and be a bit cheaper. But if all you do is buy a box of 20 each year for the hunt, it probably doesn't matter that much.

I agree with muddy on the rifle price thing. You'll also have more rifle choices for 30-06.

Bottom line - the 7mm's biggest advantage is flatter shooting, and longer shots potentially made a little easier.
When I went to Sheels sporting goods I saw lots and lots of choices for 30-06 and 270.

So if you are just now buying for the first time, I would choose between one of these rather than a 7 Rem Mag.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.