Utah Guns Forum banner

West Utah Lake closed to shooters for at least 2 years

10K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Snurd 
#1 ·
#2 ·
And the map I got to FINALLY was dated 2010... Me thinks if I went shooting avoiding ONLY those areas I'd be in a little trouble.

edited to add: Found the current map dated 8/2012... looking at it, it seems there may be some areas that are still legal to shoot. BUT, the map has a big disclosure stating that the map may not meet mapping standards ect. IT would have been great if they had given at least some GPS coordinates delineating the area. :disgusted:

#4 ·
I just went shooting there a few hours ago. This is the first I'd been since those fires started.

I did notice a few new signs saying that shooting to the north of one of the trails was on was off limits, but I continued up a ways further (4WD) and didn't see any more signs after that. It did seem odd that there was almost nobody else there.

Shot for an hour and a half or so, then came back down on a different route. That's when I saw a lot more signs saying that the area was closed to shooting. Oops. Good thing I was far enough up to not be seen from the road.

Here's one of the signs:

Either way, what's going on? I could have sworn Gov. Herbert just said that there wouldn't be an emergency session to ban shooting anywhere? When I get a chance, I'm definitely calling the number on the sign to see what's up. That has been the best place to go shooting in Utah Valley for a long time. I've been there many times during at least the last 10 years or so. This is really disappointing.

#6 ·
So, how far "behind the sign" is off limits.... length of the shadow cast by the post,2 miles, 20 miles, or 200 miles?

#7 ·
And under what legal authority can they ban it? It's already illegal to shoot onto, from, or over roads or trails. It's already illegal to shoot structures without permission.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Ya I was going there about 17 years ago, I stopped going these past 5 years though too many people. Stopped jack rabbit hunting there about 8 years ago. I tend to avoid the west side of utah lake all together anymore. But I have been known to visit from time to time. Now that I have a perfect shooting location I just prefer going there now.

#11 ·
I made a map of land ownership for this area that I linked to in the following thread:

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14970&start=15

The link is at the very end. It is dynamic so you can pan/zoom in and out to see better.

Based on the BLM map and that one, there still seems to be places to shoot there, you just have to go up in the hills and away from the main road more. There are also areas near the Payson City Landfill that should still be open too.

Off-topic, but kudus to the BLM on that map they made. It's clean, simple, and informative.

#14 ·
Luv10mm said:
I made a map of land ownership for this area... ...Based on the BLM map and that one, there still seems to be places to shoot there, you just have to go up in the hills and away from the main road more...
Based on that map, it looks like the BLM doesn't even control the main shooting area they just closed off? Using my extensive cartography skills, I made an extremely precise map to illustrate that the main shooting area should technically still be open, even if one has to use the alternate entrance.

#15 ·
Why would you need to use the alternative entrance. As long as you stay on the "roads" I didn't see anything in the ban against driving through the BLM land, just shooting on it. Of course the shooting areas, being outside BLM land are subject to the State Forester's Order.

p.s. for any Waze users, it'll probably take a month to go live, but I just mapped the BLM no shooting blocks into Waze as landmarks so when you drive out there you can see when you enter and leave it.

#16 ·
Article on KSL about this today.
Click HERE
Wow. I got to say this really upsets me. Totally lame. I hope tons of people continue to shoot in that area on the private land. Honestly what surprises me the most is a private landowner that allows the shooting on their land.
And I agree 100% with Daknife. You certainly can access the main shooting spot by driving across the BLM land. Just make sure you go through the BLM land and blast away.

#17 ·
The thing that really is the most lame about this and the other shooting restrictions, is shooters will just go elsewhere. The range I shoot at is closed due to fire hazards. Some idiot started a fire there once so they closed it. It just so happens that the closed range is the SAFEST spot to shoot. So now that it's closed shooters just go somewhere less safe to shoot. Our government is so screwed up. Do they really think closing that location is going to stop shooting? It won't. Shooters will just go elsewhere and trash somewhere else and start fires somewhere else. I think it's best to keep it contained to the current locations that are well established and frankly the safest places to shoot.

#18 ·
Paul said:
The thing that really is the most lame about this and the other shooting restrictions, is shooters will just go elsewhere. The range I shoot at is closed due to fire hazards. Some idiot started a fire there once so they closed it. It just so happens that the closed range is the SAFEST spot to shoot. So now that it's closed shooters just go somewhere less safe to shoot. Our government is so screwed up. Do they really think closing that location is going to stop shooting? It won't. Shooters will just go elsewhere and trash somewhere else and start fires somewhere else. I think it's best to keep it contained to the current locations that are well established and frankly the safest places to shoot.
And to add to that, it won't even make a dent in wildfires. Actually, it may increase the chance of wildfires if shooters go to new areas that haven't been burned yet. Of course, the wildfires won't be started by shooting, but by smoking, hot vehicles, idiots, etc.

I'll see if I can get the BLM's closure area data and add it to the dynamic map.

Edit: I guess they are claiming this only has to do with stray gunfire, but it seems awful coincidental that they close this area when there are State Forester closures in the same area due to wildfires.

Update: Looks like everyone important to us is gone from the Salt Lake BLM office this week. :disgusted: I'll try again next week to see if I can get some data.

#21 ·
I spoke to BLM two weeks ago where I can go shooting west of Utah Lake. They refered me to their closure maps on their site and said anywhere west of the power lines is still ok to shoot. If you look at their map the area that is dashed out in red is closure area west of the power lines is just yellow no restriction BLM land. They told me not to go to far west so I don't get into state land since they are not familiar with their specific rules and regulations. If in doubt call the BLM salt lake city office and they will give you an answer right on the phone if west of the power lines is still ok to shoot.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/media...r.79450.File.dat/LakeMtn.TargShootingClos.pdf

look at the map west of the power lines at Mile Marker 18 and 19 it is not restricted.

#22 ·
And the state restrictions have all been lifted, so stay west of the power line and your good to go. At least until you hit Dugway PG, you might want to stop then before you shoot something you really don't want to shoot. :nilly:

#26 ·
DaKnife said:
And the state restrictions have all been lifted, so stay west of the power line and your good to go. At least until you hit Dugway PG, you might want to stop then before you shoot something you really don't want to shoot. :nilly:
Not to mention if you get in the wrong place, there might be return fire. Though I don't know much patrolling still takes place out there.

Mel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.