Utah Guns Forum banner

Safariland GLS

11K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Snurd 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I was able to get a hold on a new Safariland GLS (Grip Lock System) holster. There are a few pics of the ALS (Automatic Locking System) and the GLS so you can see some of the differences between them. The ALS holster shown is for a G17, so it is a little bit longer than the GLS holster, but it fits the 19,17,34, and 35 quite easily. The 9mm's tested are gen 3, and the 35 is a gen 4. The GLS shown was made for a G19. I haven't tested other guns in it yet, but I'm sure the same is true for it as well.

I have carried the ALS quite a bit with the different guns above, and it is a great holster. The only real issue I have with it is that it is a bit on the bulky side. When I saw that the GLS was available I wanted to get one and see how it compared.

The GLS is a fair amount thinner than the ALS. The ALS holster has the retention device that sits on the left side of the gun and locks onto the ejection port. The GLS has the retention device on the under side of the gun, just under the trigger guard. This makes the part of the holster under the trigger guard larger than on the ALS, but that's not really a big deal. Switching the placement of the retention system makes it easier to conceal since it doesn't poke out to the side as much. That's what I like about it.

The GLS system is very easy to use.The button to unlock the retention is right by the grip. When you grab hold of your gun, your middle finger automatically depresses the release button and the gun can slide right out. It's quick.

One thing that I did notice between the two is on the ALS you can basically let go of the gun once it's mostly in the holster and the locking system easily engages. The GLS you need to push down on the gun to get it locked in place. It's not a big deal, and it doesn't take a lot of pressure, it's just something that I noticed.

If you are interested in one, the only site I could find it is straight from Safariland. They range from $46.50 to $53 plus $7 shipping. I prefer the paddle to the belt slide or clip, so that's what you see in the pics.

Tapatalk will only let me do 5 pics per post, so I'll toss others in the next post.

ALS

GLS
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398049110.313103.jpg

ALS
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398049126.268781.jpg

GLS
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398049145.029832.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
ALS
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398049678.381754.jpg

GLS
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398049704.240954.jpg

GLS
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398049715.745404.jpg

Here are the guns that the GLS are made for as of this post:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398049758.504179.jpg

Attachments

#4 ·
gunsrg8t said:
I like that holster.
I have the ALS. I was going to wear it today but it is to much bulk.
I will have to try this GLS.
You missed something in this review.
Or are going to review the hat in another post?
I wasn't going to review the hat. It's just there as a show piece. But since you asked.....

The hat is pretty comfy. It has a Velcro strap in the back. I have never really liked any of the other straps before. The back if the hat is mesh so it breathes really easy. It looks pretty good.

The only complaint I have about it is the fact that the front part of the hat where the logo is located, sits a little too high for me. It's a relatively stiff material and it doesn't conform to the head. I would prefer less height on the front.

It also had the Safariland name embroidered on the back in red thread. You can see what it looks like on the front, so there is no reason to take a picture of the back of the hat. Plus, I don't want to. :D

(Sent from iSnurd)

#6 ·
Just curious, but how do you think this would do in stopping a "bad guy" from grabbing your gun?
That's the one thing that I have been wary about. It appears that it would be easy and natural for even a bad guy grip the pistol and it would come out. I know the ALS system and other systems make it very difficult for a person who is not the carrier to remove the pistol, but this one just seems like it would be easy for a perp to still pop it out.
Is that the case or am I way off the mark?

#7 ·
gskip33 said:
Just curious, but how do you think this would do in stopping a "bad guy" from grabbing your gun?
That's the one thing that I have been wary about. It appears that it would be easy and natural for even a bad guy grip the pistol and it would come out. I know the ALS system and other systems make it very difficult for a person who is not the carrier to remove the pistol, but this one just seems like it would be easy for a perp to still pop it out.
Is that the case or am I way off the mark?
I would say that it depends. I haven't tested it that way. I guess I could put a dummy gun in there and have my wife see how easy it is to get out while I'm wearing it.

There are a good number of people that carry with a Blade-tech or even a leather holster that has no switch that needs to be depressed to get the gun out. Probably even more people carry with Crossbreed type holsters that have nothing either. What happens if someone tries to take your gun with one of those? That person is going to get some elbows.

For me, this is a CC rig, not OC. If I am going to OC, I would most likely be using a Serpa. Sometimes the ALS, but usually not. If I was going to use this as an OC holster, I would be using my OC mind set, as I would anytime I was OCing. While heightened awareness is always good no matter how or what we carry, OC tends to bring out an extra helping or two.

If someone tries to grab your gun, no matter what holster it is in, there should be no doubt that there will be a serious whoopin' to whoever is dumb enough to give it a whirl. Until the threat is stopped of course.

(Sent from iSnurd)

#10 ·
Photocell said:
I added one of these to my order from safariland the other day, I'm interested to see how it works out.

P.S. I partially blame Snurd for the purchase because I wanted to take full advantage of my 50% card and was looking for stuff to buy and remembered this post.
Go ahead, blame away. :D I am liking it more and more. So far it has been more comfortable while riding in the car than the ALS or Serpa. That's quite beneficial. I just sent one I a friend in Texas, so hopefully he likes it as well.

(Sent from iSnurd)

#13 ·
Recieved my GLS for a G17. I decided on the standard belt loop attachment. The release mechanism is pretty well designed and does work as advertised. In my opinion it is not a duty style retention device, but for a concealment holster it is added security from losing a firearm during activities like ATV/motorcycle riding. This holster is much closer to the body than the ALS, but still protrudes enough on me that it will be an open carry range or back country holster rather than for concealed use, except under large coats. It is my understanding that they are going to release an IWB version as well, that may work better for that role. I'm not a fan of the belt loop attachment design, as it puts a lot of pressure on my hip where the belt threads through, but hopefully the stiffness wil break in and become more comfortable. It is very secure on the belt however.

#14 ·
I like the paddle style better than the belt loop.ore area to disperse weight. I use it for CC without a jacket and don't have any issues. Yes it may print a little bit, but much less than the ALS. And I don't mind at all that it may print. 99% of people most likely don't know what it is anyway.

Sent from iSnurd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.