Utah Guns Forum banner

Dynamic entry results in cop shot... no charges

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  MarshallDodge 
#1 ·
#2 ·
This IS NOT how it should happen. That being said, police officers should always be prepared to be shot or threatened with physical violence when they make a dynamic entry into a home that may have a crime being committed.

There are times when a dynamic entry needs to happen but I agree that in this case, the officers should have knocked on the door. There was no immediate threat so the issue could have been worked out another way.

#3 ·
I agree that this isn't how it should happen. Dynamic entries should be reserved for situations where there is little or no doubt of the danger involved. I do agree however, that in a situation like this, if a cop should be shot, no charges should be filed. You can't blame a person for defending their home against violent intrusion. It's actually a sign of the cops inept attempt that leaves the home owner alive to not be charged. There are no winners in this game, it's pure luck that the officer wasn't killed, and that would have been a tragedy. I assume the homeowner really would have preferred to not shoot anyone, including a cop.

Mel

#4 ·
MarshallDodge said:
This IS NOT how it should happen. That being said, police officers should always be prepared to be shot or threatened with physical violence when they make a dynamic entry into a home that may have a crime being committed.

There are times when a dynamic entry needs to happen but I agree that in this case, the officers should have knocked on the door. There was no immediate threat so the issue could have been worked out another way.
I was referring to the homeowner not facing charges.

If a cop breaks into the wrong house, and a law abiding homeowner reacts to the violent intrusion, they should not face charges for it.

#5 ·
gravedancer said:
MarshallDodge said:

If a cop breaks into the wrong house, and a law abiding homeowner reacts to the violent intrusion, they should not face charges for it.
True enough. And there have been other cases with a similar outcome. One fellow in Minnesota even got a big settlement out of the debacle.

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... 59839.html

#6 ·
gravedancer said:
MarshallDodge said:

Gotcha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.