Utah Guns Forum banner

Appraisal Requested

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Wrangler_dave9 
#1 ·
I have a friend that I work with. Her husband is looking to sell his Smith & Wesson .40 LE Duty Weapon, unknown model. It is embossed with "Blackfoot PD" for Blackfoot, ID Police. He does have the original manual, and box. I gave a figure of about $350, maybe $400 if he sells privately to a LE-gun collector. Am I about right on this?

I will post a picture when I get one.

#2 ·
$350-$400 sounds like a pretty good guess to me without seeing the gun. I can't imagine that it got much use but holster wear in Blackfoot ID, unless the owner was one of the rare ones that trained regularly I doubt it has a high round count through it. If it were a .45 I would pay that much for it myself, but I'm not really interested in adding yet another caliber to try and stock up on.

Mel

#6 ·
Come on guys, he was taking a shot in the dark. He asked us the same question that had been asked him, with the same information that he was given. I agree that an accurate appraisal requires at least a verbal description of the gun with a model number, and preferably with pictures. But... A semi automatic hand gun, .40 caliber by a major manufacturer in any kind of reasonable condition is probably safely appraised at $350-$400. It's unlikely that's too high, it may indeed be too low, but it's not a bad ball park call with the information given.

He also said he'd post pictures when he had them, meanwhile what's the harm in taking the same stab in the dark that he did? If I bought it at $350 sight unseen, I would expect to get whatever. but chances are I'd be getting a deal. And if it were a .45 I would probably throw that offer out there. I wouldn't feel much danger of getting burned, it being far more likely that I took advantage of someone's lack of knowledge.

So yeah.. we need pics. But give the guy a break.

Mel

#7 ·
Thanks, Mel.

Yes, I do know this was a shot in the dark. I know that information is vital (c'mon, I'm a 911 dispatcher for crying out loud). I did ask all these questions (model, round count, pictures, mnfc. date, holster wear, bluing condition) to no avail. I told my co-worker I'd be more than willing to do some research based on this limited information and see what comes of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.