Utah Guns Forum banner

How long it takes to receive a Utah CFP

260K views 815 replies 346 participants last post by  dewittdj 
#1 ·
This is a common question, and based on forum members who've reported their own experiences, I've taken a stab at tracking the BCI's performance over the last couple of years, and estimating the current delay. See the numbers on the charts below to get an idea how long yours will take.

One thing that you can do to help your permit arrive faster is to hand-deliver your application to the BCI, and pay your fees in cash. Since the BCI counts the time they took your money as the time they "received" your permit, this may cut out a significant amount of waiting time.

Below are three charts, showing the delays for all permits, mailed permits only and hand-delivered permits only. These charts are kept up to date! If you revisit this topic, you'll see the latest information! These charts are based on self-reported information so please, please give us your application, payment and permit receipt dates. You do that by sending a Private Message to me with the date you sent (or delivered) your application, the date the BCI received it, the date the BCI processed your payment and the date you received your permit. I summarize the information in this spreadsheet, which is used to generate the charts below. You may have to guess at when the BCI received your application, based on how long you think it takes mail to get from you to Salt Lake City.

Each of the charts below is linked to a larger version, if you want to see more detail, just click on the chart.

To read the chart:

• Each applicant's experience is shown as follows:
    • The purple dot indicates how many days elapsed before the permit was received by the applicant.[/*]
    • The blue dot indicates how many days elapsed before payment (check cashed, credit card charged).[/*]
    • The dotted orange line between the blue and purple dots shows the length of time the BCI considers themselves to have "received" the application. There's a smaller brown dot that tracks this, showing what the BCI believes their performance to be.[/*]
    • Applicants that haven't yet received their permit have a dotted red line instead of an orange line. Its length shows what the BCI's performance would be if that applicant received their permit TODAY. When they receive their permit, the line will turn orange and acquire a purple dot at the top.[/*]
    [/*]
  • The blue horizontal line shows the 63-day mark. The law allows the BCI 60 days to issue the permit, and I arbitrarily add three days to account for mail delivery time.[/*]
  • The purple, brown and blue lines show an exponential moving average of the BCI's performance. From those averages, I extrapolate current expected wait times, which are shown numerically on the right.[/*]
  • The vertical green line designates the "half-received mark". Of permits applied for after this date, less than half of the recipients have gotten their permit.[/*]

CHARTS ARE BROKEN. I don't think it matters now so I won't bother to fix them. If the BCI gets slow again, I'll start updating the spreadsheet and fix the charts.

These charts will be updated DAILY. It's an automated process, but it can break if someone puts crud into the spreadsheet. In that case, the charts will stop changing, which will be easy to notice because of the dates at the top.

Oh, one more chart that shows more history. Hopefully we'll fill in some older data and make this view more useful.

See less See more
#780 ·
usp40 said:
Son's permit, credit card was charged April 28th.
No word yet. Should we be concerned?
When was it received by BCI? It can take up to 60 days or so. I think they have been received recently somewhere around 45 days or so, but there may be a lot of people applying. That may slow down the process. He could always call and ask if it has been sent out yet, but they may or may not give an answer.

#787 ·
usp40 said:
usp40 said:
He sent it in a little before, around April 20. BCI charged his card April 28.
My son and I called BCI today.

They looked it up and said it should be here by the 27th of June. If not, to call them. Currently it is taking 60 days.

Opened up the mailbox and it was here today.

April 20 to June 12th. PRETTY HAPPY!
Excellent! :evilexcellent:

Sent from iSnurd

#789 ·
Hello everyone I am new to this site and a new permit holder. Here is the time it took BCI to process my Permit.
Mailed USPS 17 Sept 15
Charged 07 Oct 15
Recieved 09 Oct 15

I have to say I was very impressed with the speed of the processing hopefully everyone else that submits has the same luck I did.

#793 ·
My son's CFP came Today Dec 11th. It was issued on the Dec 8th. So he got it in 21 days since the class on Nov 21st. 19 Days since it was dropped off at BCI. Was issued in 16 days from when it was dropped off.

#794 ·
D-FIN said:
My son's CFP came Today Dec 11th. It was issued on the Dec 8th. So he got it in 21 days since the class on Nov 21st. 19 Days since it was dropped off at BCI. Was issued in 16 days from when it was dropped off.
Thanks to all of the diligence and effort put forth by the UCC volunteers to ensure the accuracy of the photos, prints, and applications! Dustin, you were a big part of that effort, providing the final check on everyone's application! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#795 ·
...and it begins.

Took the CFP class at Get Some Guns (Layton location) on 12/5, mailed off the paperwork on 12/7. I'll admit, I goofed and sent it regular USPS. :oops:

I'll update when they charge my CC, which I suspect will be a while.

EDIT: CC charged today (12/16).

Edit #2: Permit issued on 12/30, received today (01/07)! BCI is flying!

#796 ·
A recent applicant told me last week that she was informed by BCI that "their printer was broken" and that her permit would likely take longer than 60 days. They explained that they are backed way up due to the broken printer and the holidays. I do not doubt she was told that, but I find it hard to believe they are that backed up...or that they couldn't get a new printer. Not only that, but the law states that the state MUST issue the permit to a qualified applicant within 60 days. I have yet to see one take more than 30 days. I think I'll call BCI and verify the information. I'll report back.

#799 ·
Today is day 52 and I haven't heard anything yet. I actually just called BCI and had a very interesting conversation. The person stated that nothing happens if it isn't issued within the 60 days. I.E.: no refund of fees paid or anything. My question to that was well... If you aren't required to issue it within 60 days as the statute says then why have the timeframe at all? The rep couldn't answer that...

So my question is this: If it doesn't get issued within 60 days what recourse does someone have? File a claim in small claims court? Lawsuit etc? I think it would be easy for one to argue in court that due to the BCI delay in processing that someone's safety was put at risk by not being able to carry concealed based on where they live, job they have, or for general protection etc. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I understand there will probably be a lot of people who will say you should do nothing if it doesn't get issued in 60 days but my rebuttal to that would be that someone needs to hold the BCI accountable for their timeframe of 60 days and if a court case does that then so be it...

#800 ·
I cannot answer your question but can say that I think it is unusual. Even in the height of the post Newtown rush mine was was still done in about 60 days. Many fairly recently have been as little as 3 weeks. Were they able to verify receiving it? Did you turn it in or did your instructor?

#801 ·
I physically went to BCI on Feb 5th right when they opened to avoid any "we didn't receive your paperwork" excuses and my payment was processed via debit card so the funds were immediately transferred to BCI instead of paying by credit which would further the delays. The rep on the phone said they are extremely behind and everyone is working overtime to get them processed and they have received "hundreds" of applications everyday. I also found it strange that they are this far behind considering the previous posts on this thread. My friends permit was processed in 6 weeks plus 5 days mailing time and he gave paperwork to BCI in early January so I figured I would ask anyone on here what someone could do if the 60 day timeline isn't met because the way I understand it that is actually a law and they would be breaking the law by not issuing it within 60 days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.