Utah Guns Forum banner

Utah Cops (& others): Opinion on holster carrying on console

14K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Car Knocker 
#1 ·
So I'm more specifically looking for the opinions/input from Utah LEOs.. but I am also interested to hear what everyone else's thoughts are on the subject.

I've been thinking a lot about how to carry better in my car. Keeping it in my waistband hinders my ability to draw if needed, what with the seatbelt and lack of space around that area.

So I've noticed that the center part of the console that goes up to my dash is pretty much perfectly hidden under my leg at pretty much all angles from what I can tell.

I'm considering getting a holster and mounting it to the side of my console. It would be quickly reachable if needed, and is still pretty hidden if I were to get pulled over (so as to not cause alarm when approaching).

What are the thoughts on this? My only concern really is if I were to get pulled over, I'm the type (I know some argue against this) to voluntarily disclose that I am carrying. I do so by not saying anything, but simply handing my CFP to the LEO when I hand them my license. Every encounter I've had so far then leads to the cop asking if I am currently carrying, which I confirm I am. They then ask where it's located, I tell them, and they say okay just don't reach over there and we'll be fine. Noted.

So, really, my question about this is how would you LEOs react in this situation? If you knew there was a gun under my right knee that I informed you of, would this somehow raise more of a concern vs knowing that it's on my right side in my waistband?

I've attached a picture (not mine) that I found on Google that gives a pretty good idea of where it would be.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You're gonna holster/unholster every time you enter/exit your vehicle? Not the best plan as the possibility of a ND increases with unnecessary handling of a loaded firearm.

You may want to consider different carry options on person where you access your firearm while seated.

#5 ·
J_dazzle23 said:
Meh! Get two guns! One for the hip and one for the car. If you are the only one with access to the vehicle of course

:)

See how I did that everybody? Hand delivered a great excuse to tell your wives when you get your "vehicle carry" :):):):):)
If I do that I have to get 2 guns so she can have one on her side.

#6 ·
D-FIN said:
J_dazzle23 said:
Meh! Get two guns! One for the hip and one for the car. If you are the only one with access to the vehicle of course

See how I did that everybody? Hand delivered a great excuse to tell your wives when you get your "vehicle carry" :):):):):)
It only makes sense. And if you are going to have a car gun, chances are the only way you would need it is in a big shootout, so you would likely need to mount a couple mag holsters for each :)

#8 ·
J_dazzle23 said:
D-FIN said:
J_dazzle23 said:

It only makes sense. And if you are going to have a car gun, chances are the only way you would need it is in a big shootout, so you would likely need to mount a couple mag holsters for each :)
I always wanted a 10/20 Gatling gun mod that I could mount in front of the sunroof. :swat:

#10 ·
I can almost guarantee you that any police officer would be at least uncomfortable if they could see the gun. They would probably just ask you to keep your hands on the wheel (I know some do anyways).

As to whether or not it is a good idea I vote no. Have it on you, or have a quick take off holster that you can put nearby or something like that. I know it was brought up before, but think about what would happen if you got in an accident. I would never have a gun is visible place. If you can "hide it" under the dash or have like a holster under your seat or something that would be out of the way that would be better I think.

#11 ·
glock fan said:
You're gonna holster/unholster every time you enter/exit your vehicle? Not the best plan as the possibility of a ND increases with unnecessary handling of a loaded firearm.

You may want to consider different carry options on person where you access your firearm while seated.
There's not really anywhere else I can carry while seated that won't be hindered dramatically if I needed to draw.

Snurd said:
A good option for this kind of carry is to get a quick disconnect for your holster, if one is made for it. That way you can take most of the holster off with the gun in it, and attach it to your car. When you exit, take the holster with you.
My holster doesn't have anything like that that I am aware of.. But I wonder if maybe I could rig something up like that.

J_dazzle23 said:

Haha. I'd love to do this but I wouldn't want to leave a gun in my car 24/7 and I especially wouldn't want it sitting where I want to mount it where it's easily visible when someone isn't sitting in the seat :) But I like your style!

gravedancer said:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32800000/Red-Dawn-red-dawn-movie-2012-32815894-640-360.jpg
????

gskip33 said:
I can almost guarantee you that any police officer would be at least uncomfortable if they could see the gun. They would probably just ask you to keep your hands on the wheel (I know some do anyways).

As to whether or not it is a good idea I vote no. Have it on you, or have a quick take off holster that you can put nearby or something like that. I know it was brought up before, but think about what would happen if you got in an accident. I would never have a gun is visible place. If you can "hide it" under the dash or have like a holster under your seat or something that would be out of the way that would be better I think.
Like I mentioned, from what I can tell (I would do extensive testing before mounting) you can't see the gun if I am seated. My leg and the console appears to cover it up completely. So in theory, the cop would never see it.. especially if he's the type of cop that approaches from the passenger side. No chance of him seeing it.

#14 ·
As a recently certified LEO, I wouldn't have an issue with this at all. Just inform in the way you have already explained so the officer is aware if it is seen. Carry in a way that is safe, and allows you quick access to your firearm should you need it.

#16 ·
gunsrg8t said:
There are holsters with optional accessories that will allow removing the holster from your belt and attaching to another mounting bracket.

Previous threads:

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewt ... =3&t=13048

http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewt ... +Serpa+car

These brackets can be mounted anywhere that would fit the size of the weapon.
The Safariland MLS one looks like it could be nice. Could be kind of pricey too. Just doesn't seem like it would work IWB very well.

Wrangler_dave9 said:
As a recently certified LEO, I wouldn't have an issue with this at all. Just inform in the way you have already explained so the officer is aware if it is seen. Carry in a way that is safe, and allows you quick access to your firearm should you need it.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

#18 ·
Hawk87 said:
I carry appendix, and it is very fast and easy to draw while seated, even with a seat belt on.
This.

I've never had a problem accessing my firearm even when driving. The only issue I've ever had was that on particularly long drives the weapon jabbing me in the back/side would get uncomfortable after a few hours. I'd then easily remove my weapon and place in the center console and continue on.

#19 ·
Hawk87 said:
I carry appendix, and it is very fast and easy to draw while seated, even with a seat belt on.
I can't appendix carry. I'm a fat kid.

#20 ·
When I a driving significant distances, I often pull out the shoulder holster or fanny pack. With the fanny pack I can put my wallet and phone in the pouch in front and I don't have to sit on them all the way to St. George. My lap belt slides under it perfectly. I am currently considering a front of cushion or under steering column holster for my wife, she mostly keeps hers in her car because she can't carry at work.

#21 ·
I have a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB size 16 holster that I use for my G19 and a size 12 for the XDS wedged in between my passenger seat and the center console. It's grippy enough that it won't go anywhere since it is a "suedeish" material up against the plastic and the leather. I'd imagine if you had cloth, it would stay just fine as well.. I've had some really hard accelerations and braking and even with a full mag in the G19, it doesn't move. Can't attest to a rollover, but I don't intend to test that scenario. The nice thing about the Uncle Mike's holsters are that they're cheap and you'll only be out 12 bucks if you don't like it. I also have a De Santis Nemesis pocket holster for the XDS that wedges between the seat and is even more grippy. I usually unholster from my IWB flashbang Capone when I get into the car and just transfer it to the wedged holster. Obviously, if I were to forget it there would pose a big issue with folks seeing into the car. To potentially prevent that scenario, I usually put my wallet on the passenger seat so it serves as a way to remember it.. I have a Costanza wallet, so I usually know whether it's in my back pocket or not haha.

Clearly, anytime you unholster the weapon increases the risk of a discharge, but I'm pretty meticulous when I pull it out and I never even have to move my trigger finger from a safe position. Don't know if this will work for you, but it's the best I've found for myself as I don't usually have passengers and it wouldn't really impede anything for them as well. In a drive-thru scenario, you could just throw a shirt or hat over it if you were concerned about spooking a worker. I do like the idea of a drilled one into the side of the console. I have watched numerous YouTube vids on that. I just can't bring myself to drill into my car yet, since it's less than a year old. Hope that's some help for ya. I also wish I could appendix carry, but that would be extremely uncomfortable with my beer keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Bbrady86 said:
I have a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB size 16 holster that I use for my G19 and a size 12 for the XDS wedged in between my passenger seat and the center console. It's grippy enough that it won't go anywhere since it is a "suedeish" material up against the plastic and the leather. I'd imagine if you had cloth, it would stay just fine as well.. I've had some really hard accelerations and braking and even with a full mag in the G19, it doesn't move. Can't attest to a rollover, but I don't intend to test that scenario. The nice thing about the Uncle Mike's holsters are that they're cheap and you'll only be out 12 bucks if you don't like it. I also have a De Santis Nemesis pocket holster for the XDS that wedges between the seat and is even more grippy. I usually unholster from my IWB flashbang Capone when I get into the car and just transfer it to the wedged holster. Obviously, if I were to forget it there would pose a big issue with folks seeing into the car. To potentially prevent that scenario, I usually put my wallet on the passenger seat so it serves as a way to remember it.. I have a Costanza wallet, so I usually know whether it's in my back pocket or not haha.

Clearly, anytime you unholster the weapon increases the risk of a discharge, but I'm pretty meticulous when I pull it out and I never even have to move my trigger finger from a safe position. Don't know if this will work for you, but it's the best I've found for myself as I don't usually have passengers and it wouldn't really impede anything for them as well. In a drive-thru scenario, you could just throw a shirt or hat over it if you were concerned about spooking a worker. I do like the idea of a drilled one into the side of the console. I have watched numerous YouTube vids on that. I just can't bring myself to drill into my car yet, since it's less than a year old. Hope that's some help for ya. I also wish I could appendix carry, but that would be extremely uncomfortable with my beer keg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, that does help. I'll have to double check my console.. But it seems like wedging it between my seat and console wouldn't work so well. And I'm okay drilling into mine. it's a 99 :)

I'll post up if I ever get around to doing it. Been crazy busy lately.

#23 ·
I just got stopped by SGPD the other night for cutting through a parking garage as a shortcut (wrong place at the wrong time) they were in-route to calls about suspicious activity and kids racing their cars. So I ran into them headlights to headlights. Your run of the mill, "SHUT OFF THE VEHICLE. SHOW ME YOUR HANDS," stop. Immedietly I complied and told the officer I had my sidearm in the console. (Mazda 3 has a little flip up door cubby under the radio and in front of the gear shift) He looked in and said something to the effect of "nifty, fits right in there" and "just don't reach for it." Ran my info, asked me about what kind of firearm I had and let me on my merry way. So, I really don't think LEO's care so long as you're kind and complient.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here's something to consider. RTI SOC holster rigs. Available through Natchez's Shooters Supplies http://www.natchezss.com/ at discounted prices.

The holster mount has a quick disconnect. Press the button and lift the holster up. You can then transfer it to the belt mount.

RTI.jpg

Attachments

#25 ·
I do believe that carrying a loaded gun in a car is illegal under Utah law.
Having a concealed carry permit negates the loaded part as long as the gun is
on the person, however, not sure it negates it if you take the gun off. It
may be illegal to set a loaded firearm on the console? (......and it ain't much
good if it ain't loaded. :huh: )
Best get a legal opinion here? :dunno:

#26 ·
James said:
I do believe that carrying a loaded gun in a car is illegal under Utah law.
Having a concealed carry permit negates the loaded part as long as the gun is
on the person, however, not sure it negates it if you take the gun off. It
may be illegal to set a loaded firearm on the console? (......and it ain't much
good if it ain't loaded. :huh: )
Best get a legal opinion here? :dunno:
It is NOT illegal to carry a loaded gun in a car as long as one has a permit, or lacking a permit, meets the criteria in the law:
76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.

(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:

(a) in or on a vehicle, unless:

(i) the vehicle is in the person's lawful possession; or

(ii) the person is carrying the loaded firearm in a vehicle with the consent of the person lawfully in possession of the vehicle;

(b) on a public street; or

(c) in a posted prohibited area.

(2) Subsection (1)(a) does not apply to a minor under 18 years of age, since a minor under 18 years of age may not carry a loaded firearm in or on a vehicle.

(3) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii), a person may not possess a loaded rifle, shotgun, or muzzle-loading rifle in a vehicle.

(4) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.
Neither does any Utah law state that a concealed carry permit is only valid if the firearm is on your person.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.