Utah Guns Forum banner

Carry ettiquete

5K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
I was at work the other day and as usual I was carrying concealed. A guy came up to me and asked me in front of about 5 people what I was carrying. He was a retired police officer with a good eye. But he just pointed out to everybody around me including a few customers that I was carrying. Some of them know I carry and some don't. Well they do now. I don't really care as they all know that I own guns. I've noticed people carrying many times but would never think of talking to them in public about what they are carrying as concealed means concealed not broadcasted to the world

#2 ·
I guess it depends on the circumstances. If he's a co-worker (or your boss) who knows you won't get into trouble for carrying, and it won't offend or turn away customers, then no big deal. Otherwise, it does seem like he lacks discretion.

When I'm concealed and asked what I carry, I've responded with the model of my Leatherman or flashlight (which are frequently visible) or "Nothing, as far as you know."

#3 ·
Some folks who don't believe non-LEO's should be carrying will ask you in front of others just to "out" you.

For me if asked I'll say it's a "medical device". That's all I'll say. It's a true statement because it could well save my life in a bad situation. That tends to shut a person down right then and there from furthering the discussion. After all, it's none of their darn business either way!

#4 ·
I'm with manithree and wright on this one. With the possible exception of being at a shooting range, I think it very poor etiquette to out a peaceful, decent man who is making a reasonable attempt to conceal his firearm.

And depending on how well you know and like the person who commits such a faux pas, I like their answers that either gently divert, or completely shut down hard any further discussion.

Now, one on one I would not take offense to being asked by someone who seemed to do so out of sincere interest or agreement.

Fortunately, these situations are rare as there are very few people who ever consciously notice even an OC'd handgun on your hip, much less a firearm under a shirt or jacket. But it is reminder that it is difficult to be 100% concealed and so if having a gun in a given situation is likely to create real problems for you, you need to be extra-mindful of how you carry (deep concealment) or perhaps forgo the firearm in favor of something that will cause fewer problems (pepper spray, a taser, a knife or other "utility" item that could be used as a defensive weapon if needed).

Charles

#5 ·
Poor taste on his part.

I have gone up to a few people that have been unknowingly OCing when it is completely obvious their intent is to CC, and I just quietly tell them that they are flashing. They have always calmly covered their piece and said thanks for the heads up.

#6 ·
what is fun is when you get a cop who will go check the cad system and then tell your x (currently in a custody battle with)
that you do have a conceled cary permit that stunt only cost my 4000.00 in cort and atorny fees

#7 ·
bill 123 said:
what is fun is when you get a cop who will go check the cad system and then tell your x (currently in a custody battle with)
that you do have a conceled cary permit that stunt only cost my 4000.00 in cort and atorny fees
That _should_ cost the cop his job. Disclosing such information in Utah is a crime (53-5-708).

#8 ·
rpyne said:
bill 123 said:
That _should_ cost the cop his job. Disclosing such information in Utah is a crime (53-5-708).
Not so....law enforcement are exempt from that portion of the law. Here is the entire section quoted:

Act, applicable to protected records; or

(ii) shares information in violation of Subsection (1)(c).

(e) (i) As used in this Subsection (1)(e), "governmental agency" means:

(A) the state or any department, division, agency, or other instrumentality of the state; or

(B) a political subdivision of the state, including a county, city, town, school district, local district, and special service district.

(ii) A governmental agency may not compel or attempt to compel an individual who has been issued a concealed firearm permit to divulge whether the individual:
(A) has been issued a concealed firearm permit; or

(B) is carrying a concealed firearm.

(iii) Subsection (1)(e)(ii) does not apply to a law enforcement officer.
(2) The bureau shall immediately file a copy of each permit it issues under this part.

#11 ·
tapehoser said:
rpyne said:
bill 123 said:
Not so....law enforcement are exempt from that portion of the law. Here is the entire section quoted:

Act, applicable to protected records; or

(ii) shares information in violation of Subsection (1)(c).

(e) (i) As used in this Subsection (1)(e), "governmental agency" means:

(A) the state or any department, division, agency, or other instrumentality of the state; or

(B) a political subdivision of the state, including a county, city, town, school district, local district, and special service district.

(ii) A governmental agency may not compel or attempt to compel an individual who has been issued a concealed firearm permit to divulge whether the individual:
(A) has been issued a concealed firearm permit; or

(B) is carrying a concealed firearm.

(iii) Subsection (1)(e)(ii) does not apply to a law enforcement officer.
(2) The bureau shall immediately file a copy of each permit it issues under this part.
You need to read that again. The only part they are exempted from is (1)(e)(ii), which would prevent them from compelling or attempting to compel and individual to divulge whether or not they have a CFP and/or are carrying. It does NOT exempt them from the part making it a crime to divulge CFP information to non LEO persons.

#12 ·
The operative word in Concealed Carry is "concealed." If you truly want to go unnoticed, then find a better concealment method.

Deep concealment... no way to tell from even a detailed visual examination.

Casual concealment... most of the general public won't even notice... the more astute observers will be aware...

Open carry... you'd be surprised at how many will still remain completely unaware... though anyone in Yellow or Orange will be well aware....

#13 ·
rpyne said:
You need to read that again. The only part they are exempted from is (1)(e)(ii), which would prevent them from compelling or attempting to compel and individual to divulge whether or not they have a CFP and/or are carrying. It does NOT exempt them from the part making it a crime to divulge CFP information to non LEO persons.
You know what, I think you're right. On the matter of a police officer sharing CFP information with the public, that is definitely against the law.

#15 ·
I think it's best to just not address another's firearm at all. If it isn't yours, don't point it out. If another carrier wants to talk about their firearm with you, let them instigate it. (in public at least) Wrangler_Dave is a great example of this. When I first met him at Wal-Mart he could clearly tell I was carrying and he didn't go, "OH COOL! What kind of gun do you have!?" Just ignored the subject all together thus avoiding outing me to the sheeple shopping around me.

I mean, if I want people to clearly know I'm carrying I'll OC. I think that rings true for a lot of us. Even when I see people OC I don't tend to make comments on their sidearm. To each their own but I go with the mindset of, "if I don't say anything I can't say the wrong thing." It's worked so far.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

#19 ·
I guess then I've need to repent.

No, I haven't and don't "out" CC, but I have discretely (i.e., no audience) asked them about what they have learned and recommend. I vaguely remember speaking with a man in such a circumstance; his eyes repeatedly darted to my right hip, and I acknowledged what he suspected. But, it was a cautious yet informative interview.

It is in my very core to learn about others, not to be nosy but to learn. I suppose as well it was being self-conscious. Since I carry under my loose, tucked shirt, I wonder how concealed it really is...

I'll do better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.