Cinemark in Newgate Mall

This is where to post the names of places to boycott because they have anti-gun, anti-freedom stances or policies. Any posts advocating boycotts must explain the reasons for the boycotts including, if possible, documentary proof, such as links to business web sites or news articles.

Re: Cinemark in Newgate Mall

Postby robin314 » Mon 01 Dec 2008 9:31 am

Ishpeck wrote:
MarshallDodge wrote:
GeneticsDave wrote:I would never go to WVC or Oggerdun without a gun

That's OK 'cause I wouldn't go to Bountiful without a gun either!

I won't go outside the house without a gun.

If I am wearing pants, there is a gun attached. I live in a nice area, IMO, but I will always carry.

I OC'ed the other night (while wearing a coat over) to Cinemark Theatures in Newgate. I was covered with a open jacket. When we went to go purchase tickets I noticed the sign saying no firearms. I then, noty wanting to ruin a rare date with no kids, kept it covered. It took considerable effort to keep it covered while I paid. When asked to see ID with credit card, the first two cards visible in wallet was my CFP and NRA cards. Haha, I had a heck of a time concealing....

I enjoyed the movie (fully armed). I would like to know the reason for such no gun signs. I would also like to know why 6.00 buys a samll bag of popcorn with no free refills. I am going to smuggle in a microwave and make my own next time.
Gun Control is a Blessing to Criminals.
Utah Open Carry Twitter http://twitter.com/utahopencarry
Utah Open Carry Blog http://www.utahopencarry.com
robin314
Marksman

Postby redtree » Tue 02 Dec 2008 11:57 pm

robin314 wrote:I would also like to know why 6.00 buys a samll bag of popcorn with no free refills. I am going to smuggle in a microwave and make my own next time.

:spit:
Why not smuggle in a soda fountain while you're at it!!!
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again it was probably worth it!
redtree
Novice

Postby robin314 » Wed 03 Dec 2008 7:32 am

redtree wrote:
robin314 wrote:I would also like to know why 6.00 buys a samll bag of popcorn with no free refills. I am going to smuggle in a microwave and make my own next time.

SERIOUSLY!!!
I was MORE mad about spending $10.25 for a Large Drink and "Large" (It's in a bag not a bucket) Popcorn.

Okay, you can disarm me and have me watch the movie in my boxers. But If I paid $8.00 to get into your building I expect $6.00 to buy me a 50 gallon barrel of popcorn with free refills for the next week!!!!

When I am rich I am going to open a theature where all popcorn and drinks are FREE!!! Oh, and I am putting metal detectors at the door. That way, if it beeps, you get free admission.
robin314
Marksman

Postby bane » Wed 03 Dec 2008 7:56 am

robin314 wrote:
redtree wrote:

SERIOUSLY!!!
I was MORE mad about spending $10.25 for a Large Drink and "Large" (It's in a bag not a bucket) Popcorn.

Okay, you can disarm me and have me watch the movie in my boxers. But If I paid $8.00 to get into your building I expect $6.00 to buy me a 50 gallon barrel of popcorn with free refills for the next week!!!!

When I am rich I am going to open a theature where all popcorn and drinks are FREE!!! Oh, and I am putting metal detectors at the door. That way, if it beeps, you get free admission.

I used to work at that Cinemark as a kid. I'm not sure about now but back then it was a dollar-theater. I can tell you that back then the theater *DEPENDED* on concessions sales to stay in business. The measly $1 we collected from admissions went towards our rental fee for the film. So, those who buy their ticket and don't buy concessions products are not really generating any profit for the theater at all, much less paying the employees wages, the equipment to run the place, the rent to the mall, etc. When we sneak in popcorn/drinks/etc we aren't just foregoing a product we don't want but are, in effect, stealing from the theater who puts up the money for the employees/equipment/mall-rent in hopes that the customers who want snacks will be honest and buy from them.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think the high price of snacks justifies sneaking food in. I'm not trying to be overly-condescending here, I have done it plenty of times in my younger years before I knew any of this. I'm just putting it out there b/c I know most people don't know this.

I don't know about the full-price theaters but it surprises me their food is so expensive -- I would think they could afford to have cheaper food, however it's quite possible they pay a significantly higher "rent" on the film. :dunno:
"Men cannot be enslaved politically until they have been disarmed ideologically. When they are so disarmed, it is the victims who take the lead in the process of their own destruction." -- Ayn Rand, Russian-American Philosopher (1905-1982).
bane
Sniper

Postby robin314 » Wed 03 Dec 2008 8:09 am

bane wrote:I don't know about the full-price theaters but it surprises me their food is so expensive -- I would think they could afford to have cheaper food, however it's quite possible they pay a significantly higher "rent" on the film. :dunno:

Well if given the option, I'd rather have cheaper tickets and expensive food (the way it is). I think having a $15 ticket and "normal" food prices would not be as good.
robin314
Marksman

Postby divegeek » Wed 03 Dec 2008 5:12 pm

bane wrote:I don't know about the full-price theaters but it surprises me their food is so expensive -- I would think they could afford to have cheaper food, however it's quite possible they pay a significantly higher "rent" on the film. :dunno:

I did some work for a major theater chain a few years ago, and that's what I was told, that even first-run theaters barely break even on the ticket prices. That's why estimates of film revenues focus on box-office gross, rather than trying to deduct the theater profits -- because the theaters don't really make any money on ticket prices.

Basically, theater owners aren't in the business of showing movies, they're in the business of selling popcorn. They just use the movies to attract crowds of popcorn buyers.

I go to lots of movies (usually at the Newgate Cinemark) and I buy lots of overpriced popcorn. I long ago got over the outrageous prices; I just figure it costs $25-$30 for my wife and I to see a movie. We feel like we get $25-$30 worth of entertainment so we're okay with it.

BTW, the "no guns" sign at the Newgate Cinemark went up not long after I started OC'ing regularly there. It's possible that it was a response to my actions. I mostly conceal there now, just to avoid annoying my wife, who doesn't care one way or the other about OC, but doesn't want to be hassled by management on date night.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Strategic Tactical » Mon 15 Dec 2008 3:18 pm

The movie theatre had signs up at the box office in 2005 when I was going in there. At the time, I was LEO so I didnt worry about it.
Chris
Director of Training
Strategic Tactical Group LLC
Certified instructor for Utah CFP, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, ASP and Camlock Baton, MACE
Glock, AR-15 and Mossberg Armorer
http://www.strategictacticalgroup.com
http://www.stginvestigations.com
Strategic Tactical
Sniper

Previous

Return to Boycott List