Utah Guns Forum banner

BATFE word on federal GFSZ

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bagpiper 
#1 ·
I've received the following from another list.

The Oklahoma Second Amendment Association just released a letter dated July 25, 2013 from the Federal Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives confirming the following facts about Title 18 USC 922(q) "The Federal Gun Free School Zones Act"

1. An Oklahoma permit holder traveling on public roads can be federally prosecuted for carrying a gun in other states that recognize Oklahoma's permit

2. An Oklahoma permit holder can be federally prosecuted for discharging their firearm in an act of otherwise lawful self defense (carjacking).

3. A conviction under the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act causes a person to become a lifetime prohibited firearm buyer/possessor.

I have attached the letter in PDF format to this E-mail.

Grant Chapman
Deputy Director of Policy
OK2A
This site won't let me upload a PDF, and the pdf won't let me copy and paste. It seems to be a scanned image, so no words to copy and paste. So I will get it posted to the GOUtah! website in the next day or two and then provide a link.

Charles

#2 ·
This would stand to reason... since to get around the GFSZ you need to be a permit holder in the state you are in...right ?

For example, in Utah, youd have to be a utah permit holder to get around the GFSZ. Dont try to carry in a school in utah with a permit from another state. At least that has always been my understanding.

#3 ·
gravedancer said:
This would stand to reason... since to get around the GFSZ you need to be a permit holder in the state you are in...right ?
For example, in Utah, youd have to be a utah permit holder to get around the GFSZ. Dont try to carry in a school in utah with a permit from another state. At least that has always been my understanding.
You are correct.
School Zone concealed firearm permit exception, (922 (q) (2) (B) (ii) 1. If the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the state in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the state; and 2. The law of the state or political subdivision requires that before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the state or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.