Utah Guns Forum banner

Use of the UCC logo.

11K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  RustyShackleford 
#1 ·
I was wondering about who is allowed to use the website's logo. This was brought to mind by this KSL ad.
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=678&ad=19467313&cat=185&lpid=1
Sorry about the low res screen cut.
As far as I can tell, this Whitney fellow isn't from this site, as he has not posted this class on UCC. I don't think the logo is copyrighted... But it seems rather scummy for this Whitney to be using it like he is. Any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
Im going to guess that the seller is someone who frequents the site. And maybe they had permission to use the logo ? If not, then if it were my logo being used, I would send the guy a cease and desist type letter.

** Edit **

Since Paul posted at the same time as me indicating he has a problem with it, sounds like the guy didnt have permission... :)

#4 ·
gravedancer said:
Im going to guess that the seller is someone who frequents the site. And maybe they had permission to use the logo ? If not, then if it were my logo being used, I would send the guy a cease and desist type letter.
I'm betting he didn't have permission since the owner of the site posted above you that he isn't okay with it. :thumbsup:

#5 ·
Snurd said:
gravedancer said:
I'm betting he didn't have permission since the owner of the site posted above you that he isn't okay with it. :thumbsup:
yeah he posted while I was writing that lol

#11 ·
LOL.
I run out for lunch and look at all the fun you guys have.
Honestly it's flattering someone would see some benefit to the logo and use it. Maybe we should do something where registered instructors on the forum could use the logo in advertising. Thats something I'll need to think about. I would like to see active participants here benefit from the site. It's something to think about.

#12 ·
Paul said:
LOL.
I run out for lunch and look at all the fun you guys have.
Honestly it's flattering someone would see some benefit to the logo and use it. Maybe we should do something where registered instructors on the forum could use the logo in advertising. Thats something I'll need to think about. I would like to see active participants here benefit from the site. It's something to think about.
If anything, you could make it a benefit of being one of the "supporting members" or "sustaining members"

#16 ·
Snowman said:
faydee said:
a sock with oranges doesnt leave bruises...
But a sock with orange billiard balls sure does!
i'm goign to hazard a guess that truer words have never been typed on the internets ;)

#20 ·
No.
I just called Whitney. (No answer, left message) I figure where it went down so fast the other day that the person had seen the thread here and just acted on their own to stop using it. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the heads up again!
EDIT: And the ad is already down again. Probably cause they are posting the ad in HANDGUNS and someone is reporting them. CFP ads can only be placed under SERVICES.

#21 ·
As a side note, if someone would like to go place an add for the forum under services somewhere in an attempt to get new members to the forum that would be awesome. I have no problem with people using the logo and website to boost forum participation or try to get new members here on the forum.

#22 ·
Paul said:
No.
I just called Whitney. (No answer, left message) I figure where it went down so fast the other day that the person had seen the thread here and just acted on their own to stop using it. Guess I was wrong. Thanks for the heads up again!
EDIT: And the ad is already down again. Probably cause they are posting the ad in HANDGUNS and someone is reporting them. CFP ads can only be placed under SERVICES.
Im guessing the ad keeps getting moved/removed by the moderators because hes putting it in the wrong section. There are no other ads for training in that section, only firearms.

#23 ·
I just talked to Whitney. Whitney is a she. She was very apologetic and it was an honest mistake. She was looking for the BCI certified instructor logo. Anyway, thanks again for the heads up and maybe Whitney will come join the forum and introduce herself!
Incidentaly she said the forum was the first link that came up when she googled utah conceald carry or something like that. We do have a strong internet presence and what we do here does help a lot of people. That should make all of us proud!

#26 ·
The same law that everyone has been up in arms about on the internet (the one that the music/entertainment industry pushed through, but that sites like google, etc are protesting because it will affect wikipedia and other sites on the internet that share information) should make it easier to prosecute someone for "pirating" images or other content off of someone elses website. Thats actually exactly why wikipedia and google were protesting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.